Thursday, December 23, 2010

Go Cowboy Up At the Vista Verde With Ben!



Q. Well it’s been a whirlwind Colorado kind of tour and we’re back at the Vista Verde, home to Zag, that four-legged father Christmas.  Yes folks, you can vote for the ranch’s gentle giant, so send his name to competition@ranchrider.com if you think Zag should win the horse-nality contest. Anyway, Ben is the General Manager at Vista Verde and he’s feeling Christmassy too! 


A. I sure am!  Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Q.  Thanks Ben.  It’s great to be back! So with a long title like that I’m guessin’ they keep you pretty busy here on the ranch...

A. Yes siree!  You’ll find me gathering the cattle, leading the guest rides and even cookin’ breakfast, so it’s mighty varied.  I love it as every day is different and out here in the Rocky Mountains there are some amazing views.  It’s just a great place to work.

Q.  Wow that’s a lot to pack into a day’s work Ben! And as for those horses you must have a fave…? Don’t worry I won’t tell (chuckle)…

A.  Hahaha!  That would have to be Roper, he’s smooth gaited, solid on cows, willing and a claustrophobic like me!

Q.  (Wide three by nine smile) Ah so you’re a comedian cowboy too Ben – I like that! And where will you be heading with Roper when you next hit the trail, and do you have any fave spots in mind?

A.  The Coulton Creek to Cutover trail wins hands down.  There is some great scenery and the loping is fun all the way. When it comes to that number one location I’d have to say, Gilpin Lake in the Mt. Zirkel wilderness area  - it’s really somethin’ else.

Q.  I’m in Ben! But more importantly why should our ranching fans come and saddle up with you guys?

A.  My first love is lopin’ and we can certainly promise some great opportunities to go giddy up.  Add to that an enormous amount of fun with a capital "F," and you have the recipe for a great ranch vacation!

Q.  Yee-haaaaah! And, are there any tips under that Stetson for our wannabe cowboys and girls?

A. Of course, in fact, I have a list here at the ready…

Passion/Compassion – you need to love the horses and love people
Knowledge – you need to know how to care for the horses
Integrity/Character – it is who you are when nobody is looking that counts
Work Ethic – learn to push yourself to be a hard worker

Q. Wow you obviously knew I was coming Ben (chuckle)! Anyhow I feel a sleigh ride comin’ on, so shall we go and pay Zag a visit.

A. That sounds like a plan - let’s go!

Well 'til next time folks – I’m off to meet the BIG FC!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home